Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Fat Girl On The Move

I'm still fat but I'm working on it!

Where to begin....

The other night my landlady and I broke out some tennis rackets and headed over to the courts at the high school. It was a lot of fun!! We are both on the same level (one step up from horrible :) Last night we went again and had improved to pretty bad. The thing that I love is that it's a great workout and I am having FUN. I laugh and smile and sweat at the same time. I couldn't ask for more. I can't wait to play again.

When I was little I used to spend hours hitting a tennis ball against the wall of the high school across the street. I always wanted to pursue playing tennis in school but never had the guts because I was the fat girl and fat girls don't play sports. So, playing tennis now makes me feel like I am re-living a part of my life I never lived in the first place if that makes any sense.

Today I went to the Fitness Studio here in my town. The owners are the parents of a boy in Big Guy's class and we met at a play date the other day. I had a free assessment today and it was great. Stacey was wonderful and is setting me up with a workout plan. I set up an appt. for an assessment months ago when I first started losing weight but canceled due to a sick kid and nerves. I didn't feel worthy enough of a good trainer and gym. Keeping my appointment today felt good even though I was nervous. I know that I have come a long way in the past 9 months but I am a realist and know that I have a long way to go. Being overweight I have always been scared of working out in front of other people. I fear being judged. I felt awkward today and out of place but tried to put that aside and remind myself that I was there for me and other people's opinions don't matter. Stacey made me feel at home and was very encouraging. There was a lot of positive but let me tell ya, I am out of shape. I feel awkward and uncoordinated on the elliptical and I didn't miss the fact that my stomach is dangerously close to the console. I NEVER would have fit on it 65 pounds ago. It was one of those moments that reminded me I am still a big girl. Stacey later had me working with weights while on a ball. It was a great. She asked if I had ever worked out on a ball before and I said no. I was honest; I had always been afraid I'd pop the ball. She guaranteed that would not happen. Stacey taught me lots of great exercises and I am still feeling some of them and I didn't do many! Yikes.

So yup, the fat girl is on the move and hopefully that means the fat will be on the move out the door!

No comments:

Post a Comment