Monday, May 18, 2009

Head Games

Losing weight seems, to many, to be such a physical thing. Eat less + exercise more = weight loss. For those of us who have done it/are doing it we know that it is so much more. There's physical hunger, when your stomach growls and you need to it. Then there's mental hunger. Mental hunger is the toughest, for me. I'll be driving down the road and all of a sudden a little voice inside my head says "cake" or "Big Mac". I may or may not be physically hungry at the time but that little voice remembers how good cake and Big Mac's are and wants them....NOW. To be successful at weight loss you have to learn how to manage that little voice. I've found that it takes a healthy balance of saying no to the things I crave and giving in once in a while. What does your little voice ask for? How do you handle it?

1 comment:

  1. Pasta, cake, hamburgers.....and the list could go on and on. And usually I wish I hadn't eaten it-the minute it's swallowed. :( You are right though. Physical hunger can be satisfied with pretty much whatever you choose to give it (it's a message sent to your head from your stomach via the receptors and neurons etc) but your mental/emotional hunger can only be filled by what it DEMANDS b/c it has nothing to do with your stomach and everything to do with the feel of what is in your mouth and how it relieves stress, boredom, hurt, etc. If you figure out the secret let me know. :)

    ReplyDelete